FIRE SAFETY TIPS FOR THE WORKPLACE
No matter the type of business you conduct at your workplace, fire Safety should always be a major concern as it remains very important for the sustenance of your business.
1. Keep your work area free of waste paper, trash and other items that can easily catch fire (housekeeping).
2. Check on your electrical cords. If a cord is damaged in any way, replace it. Try not to lay cords in places where they can be stepped on, as this will contribute to deterioration of the protective outside coating
3. Don't overload your circuits.
4. Turn off electrical appliances at the end of each day or when not in use.
5. Keep heat producing equipment away from anything that might burn. This includes: copiers, water dispensers, computers, etc.
6. Contact your local Fire Station for a suitable fire extinguisher and let them help teach and install it at the appropriate place in the work premise.
IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE
1. Call 0302 772 446 / 0299 340 383 / 192 / 112 immediately and don't hung up on the emergency responder until you are told to do so. Also, try and save your local Fire Station number on your phone.
2. Close doors when exiting to help limit the spread of smoke and fire throughout the building.
3. Never use elevators during an evacuation.
4. Follow an agreed and constantly practiced escape plan and meet at a pre-determined place (assembly point) outside of your building and away from danger. Conduct a headcount to ensure all of your staff has evacuated.
5. The best way to ensure the safety of your staff is through fire prevention and preparation.
6. Talk with your staff about fire safety in the workplace today or contact your local Fire Station for fire safety education. Alternatively, you can subscribe online via https://gnfs.gov.gh/content/request-safety-education and our Safety Instructors are sure to respond in the shortest possible time.