OBJECTIVE OF THE SERVICE
The objective of the Ghana National Fire Service is to manage and prevent undesired fires.
To attain a World Class fire and rescue status thereby providing quality and efficient services to the Citizenry.
FUNCTIONS OF THE GNFS
Under Ghana National Fire Service Act, 1997, Act 537, the following are the functions the Service is mandated to perform;
- Organize Public Fire Education Programmes to:
- Create and sustain awareness of the hazards of fire.
- Heighten the role of the individual in the prevention of fire.
- Provide Technical advice for building plans in respect of machinery and structural layouts to facilitate escape from fire, rescue operations and fire management.
- Inspect and offer technical advice on fire extinguishers
- Co-ordinate and advice on the training of personnel in firefighting departments of institutions in the country.
- Train and organize Fire Volunteer Squads at community level.
- Offer rescue and Evacuation services to those trapped by fire or in other emergency situations, and
- Undertake any other function incidental to the objective of the Service.
FUNCTIONS OF THE GNFS
Act 537 has given the following powers to the Service in pursuant of its roles.
Any member of the service who is on duty may without the consent of the occupiers.
- Enter and if necessary, break into any premises or place in which a fire has broken out or of extinguishing or dealing with the fire.
- Do all such things in the premises or place as he may deem necessary for extinguishing or dealing with the fire.
Any member of the service may in order to deal with an outbreak of fire, enter any land or premises.
- To ensure the use of the water under the control of any person.
- To improve the access to any such water and
- To lay and maintain hydrants and to carry out other works in connection with the power above.
- We serve on the National Security Council, REGSEC, DISEC and committees of other Institutions – NADMO, EPA, Planning Committee of District Assemblies.
- We perform other National Assignments.
Slogan of the ServiceFire!.............Safety!
OUR CORPORATE VALUES
The core values of Ghana National Fire Service are explicitly reflected in the Eight (8) cardinal points on the eight-sided insignia of the Service.
To prevent and manage undesired fires, thereby reducing loss of lives and property by enforcement of fire safety measures in national strategic installations and responding promptly to fire disasters.
The Ghana National Fire Service is committed to providing an efficient and valued fire and rescue service to meet statutory requirement in Act 537 and public expectation. This will be achieved through appropriate resourcing in terms of equipment, appliances, and premises and by effectively training personnel.
We are confident that we can maintain and improve public safety from fire and other emergencies, thereby protecting the people, industry, crops and vegetation.